This week we start with Joseph's investigation into OnlyFake, an underground website that lets anyone generate convincing photos of fake IDs at the click of a mouse. Joseph successfully used one of these to bypass the identity verification process at a cryptocurrency exchange. This really will have massive implications for crime and cybersecurity more generally. After the break, we have a double feature with a story about AI audio porn and then a likely low tech response to the ongoing deepfake crisis. In the subscribers-only section, Emanuel tells us about how he investigated the Instagram ad to investment scam pipeline.
Listen to the weekly podcast on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, or Google Podcasts. A video version of this week’s episode will be available on our YouTube channel. Become a paid subscriber for access to this episode's bonus content and to power our journalism. If you are a paid subscriber, check your inbox for an email from our podcast host Transistor for a link to the subscribers-only version! You can also add that subscribers feed to your podcast app of choice and never miss an episode that way.
- Inside the Underground Site Where ‘Neural Networks’ Churn Out Fake IDs
- ‘Neural Network’ Fake ID Site Goes Dark After 404 Media Investigation
- AI-Generated Grandma Porn Is Flooding the Internet
- ‘DignifAI:’ 4chan Is Editing Pictures to Clothe Women
- Fake Bill Ackman and Jim Cramer Instagram Ads are Trying to Take My Money